U.S. Defense Dept.'s Organizational Chart for Cyber Operations
In light of today's Wired.com article about how Creech AFB failed to report its virus attack to the 24th Air Force, I thought it might be helpful to see exactly how DoD has structured its cyber operations. The above graphic is best viewed as a Prezi.
Organizations with responsibility in this case could have included USSTRATCOM which directs DOD's Global Information Grid's operations and defense, USCYBERCOM which is a dual-hatted command with the NSA who has direct responsibility for protecting the .MIL domains. And then there's the 24th Air Force which is responsible for the Air Force Enterprise Network GIG and three Wings which report to it.
24th Air Force
- Plans and conducts cyberspace operations in support of combatant commands.
- Maintains and defends the Air Force Enterprise Network GIG.
67th Network Warfare Wing
- Organizes, trains, and equips cyberspace forces to conduct network defense, attack, and exploitation.
- Executes air force network operations, training, tactics, and management for the 24th Air Force and combatant commands.
688th Information Operations Wing
- Aims to deliver proven IO and engineering infrastructure capabilities integrated across air, space, and cyberspace domains.
689th Combat Communications Wing
- Trains, deploys and delivers expeditionary and specialized communications, air traffic control, and landing systems for Humanitarian Relief Operations and dominant combat operations.
- Conducts tactical operations in austere, deployed, and joint/coalition environments.